Monday, January 20, 2014

Mittens!


I worked with children for many years in a school that seriously values outdoor time and we always struggled with gloves and mittens. Mittens that were warm were completely constricting, and impeded all motion and use of a child's hand. Mittens that would actually allow movement provided no warmth at all. And we would spend all our time putting mittens back on, and collecting them around the yard when they were discarded so that a child could actually do something. 

Now, having children of my own, I have been thrown back into the dilemma. Living in the Mid-Atlantic region we can kind of get away with not having proper outdoor gear (especially if you are a homebody. Ahem.) But this year we have been put to the test. With days in the low 20's, an active little boy, and a regular outdoor playgroup, I have been forced to seek out real winter gear. But the solution to useful gloves/mittens completely eluded me.

Luckily, I was a bit obsessed with "Nordic Christmas" Pinterest boards this holiday season. It dawned on me that the reason Nordic peoples developed such beautiful, multi-colored knitting is because you can achieve an extremely tight, double yarn woolen fabric that is both warm and flexible, and not too thick.

Well, I had to try, didn't I?

I have made three mittens so far. The first was intended to be for B, but it grew, of its own accord, until it fit me. I have gloves that I like, so I didn't make a second one yet. I moved right on.
 


The next two are actually really nice with only a few glitches here and there. And they actually ended up being the same size! I have to measure the thumb size when B gets up from his nap, but the goal is to try them out tomorrow in real winter temps.

And then, because I never posted a finished picture here although they showed up in many of my photos, here are the mitts I made last winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment