Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pow wow


I have been waiting a while for this! I took it into my head a few months ago that we should attend a local pow wow whenever it happens. We found one that looked interesting, and put it on the calendar. It wasn't until this week that I noticed that today also happens to be the memorial for Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American woman to be venerated by the Catholic Church. She is slated to be canonized later this year. This was a perfect way to remember her.


Entry Dance.



Grass Dance. This was my favorite. The MC explained that this dance has different meanings depending on the regions where it is found. In one case the Grass Dance actually has the purpose of mashing down the grass. So that the tribe could build their home, I suppose. In other places, this dance is a representation of warriors taking spoil from their enemies. And in other areas it is a representation of a person with a handicap lurching about.




Men's Fancy (Dance).  They were so fast! They had these amazing "bustles" on. One at the waist and one around their necks. The MC said they each weighed about 4 pounds.




Men's Traditional (Dance).


B and I even got to dance! The MC invited all the children into the arena to perform a snake dance. We got to be at the head of the snake.


No comments:

Post a Comment