Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Project Flow



I used to think that I had to finish a project before I was allowed to start another one. It never actually happened that way, but I spent a lot of time feeling guilty about letting my inspiration lead me away from the work I had already set out for myself. I am not sure what happened, but I don't really feel guilty about it any more. At any given time I have maybe 8-10 projects sitting and gestating. At any given moment I may have 3 or 4 of them out. I will go from one to the other in the course of a day. It's actually really nice. But it does sometimes mean that projects get finished more slowly.

This yarn has been calling to me. My dad bought it for me when I was 17. We were on a road trip through the South West, and we stopped at a little outpost in the middle of the desert.  The yarn was in a glass case, its Navajo colors a beautiful backdrop for the silver and turquoise jewelry displayed. At the time I wanted to build, and weave on, an authentic Navajo loom, complete with earth beam, sky beam and lightening healds. But I have never lived in a place that had room enough to build that loom. And I didn't really have enough yarn to make that blanket. So, as time goes by, and new needs arise, the materials that were once unalterably marked for a certain project get thrown together with other hand spun and gifted yarns to begin something new.

And so I am continually amazed at how my once fixed ideas of how one ought to work, and how supplies ought to be used shifts over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment